7.06.2011

Zucchini Dessert Squares

I know I haven't posted in forever but I made this vegetable dessert the other day and wanted to share the recipe with you all. {Disclaimer- this isn't a super healthy dessert- still lots of sugar, flour, and butter. It's just a great alternative and way to use up all your zucchinis}.

So it's that time of year where if you have planted zucchinis you def. have a surplus of them. And if you don't have a surplus I am sure that you have a neighbor or two that are trying to get rid of some.  You have probably used all your recipes are are ready to try something new.  
Trust me.... You don't even have to like zucchini to like it.  

{I promise it tastes just like an apple crisp-- weird I know, but it doesn't taste a thing like zucchini}. I didn't tell some of my family what it was and they thought it was apple crisp.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups cold butter

  • FILLING:
  • 8 to 10 cups cubed seeded peeled zucchini (4 to 5 pounds)
  • 2/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly{I used my hands to crumble it up}; reserve 3 cups. Pat remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, for filling, place zucchini and lemon juice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cover and simmer for 5 minutes (mixture will be thin). It smells delish.
  • Spoon over crust; sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Yield: 16-20 servings.

Let me know if you try it and if you think that it tastes anything like Zucchini! 

1 comment:

  1. Cool idea! I am excited to try these. I don't have any zucchini yet, not even close. If they ever grow in I need to remember this!

    ReplyDelete