2.16.2012

Meatless Monday Ideas.

We've been having 'Meatless Mondays' for the past 6 months or so...... the Mr. is a HUGE meat guy so this hasn't always been easy to find something that is hearty enough that he doesn't go to the fridge 20 minutes after dinner to find 'a snack.'
As you can tell by most of the recipes below, our household tends to like the 'mexican-bean dishes.'   I guess they tend to have more substance then some of the other options that we tried.  
Here is the list of our top 10 favorite hearty Meatless recipes. 

I LOVE sweet potatoes--- and the combination with the beans and cilantro was perfect. Even my husband said you could trick somebody that there was a meat in these.  I followed the recipe pretty much exactly-- The recipe made 8 pretty decent sized burritos so I froze half of them and had quick and healthy microwave lunches from the freezer! So good. 

source: eating well
The salsa mixture on this dish was delish...  I didn't have chips on hand so we just had the salad portion and it was awesome. I used romaine lettuce-- not the iceburg!  You really must try this if you are a fan of Taco Salads.  The flavors were so intense.  

What I love about vegetarian dishes is that they usually have tons of great flavors because of all the spices that are added.  The freshness of everything is always so refreshing as well.  This dressing really brought all the flavors together.  We have had this served both warm and cold--- both were so good.  

We tend to do a lot of soups on Meatless Mondays because they are quick, easy, homey, and oh so tasty.  This one had SO much flavor.  This soup has a real kick to it-- so if you like some spice give this a try.  

Here is another yummy and easy soup that you can throw together in no time.  I love to do this recipe when you have a ton of fresh zucchini from the garden!

I Love me some Mac and Cheese.... but it seems like so many of the mac and cheese recipes out there have all kinds of fancy cheeses and creams in them-- I usually have only the basics on hand so I was drawn to this recipe-- plus it only calls for milk so this recipe was perfect for us!  Plus it was yummy! 

These are great for a healthy veggie appetizer if you are going to any sort of get together. Make sure you get them nice and crispy in the oven or they will tend to be more chewy than you want. 

The Mr. spent 2 years in Brazil and constantly talks about how much he loved the rice and beans down he ate daily.  I kept putting off trying to replicate their tasty dish until I found this recipe and instructions on their take on Brazilian rice and beans.  It turned out pretty tasty and the Mr. even said it was pretty close to what he at in Brazil.  I definitely still have some perfecting to do to make this dish a bit better but if you like rice and beans give it a try.  (the recipe calls for bacon-or chorizo but I have made it with and without and is good either way)

 I especially liked this one.. The Mr. mentioned that it would have been great if there would have been some chicken in it(which really would be a good addition of you are going that route). I thought the balsalmic dressing was a great touch.

10. Spinach Cheese Manicotti--- or Stuffed Shells.  
People are always so impressed when I make these-- although they are very easy to throw together. I like to put them in the large shells as well to make stuffed shells.  These also freeze great so I will often make a large batch and half for another dinner.  Adding chicken works with these as well.  

There you Go... 
my Top 10- Go to Meatless Dishes.  All of which are pretty haelthy!  What are your favorite Meatless dishes-- I am always looking for new dishes to try?

2 comments:

  1. Love all of these meatless suggestions! We are trying to go meatless a couple times a week too and I find I struggle to find things to make that sound good! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sis gave me this recipe yesterday. I have yet to try it, but she said it was great.

    8 oz pkg stuffing
    1 stick unsalted butter, melted
    2 lbs sliced squash (she prefers pattypan, but any yellow squash or even zucchini will work)
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 cup grated carrot
    1 can cream of chicken soup (does this spoil the meatless idea?)
    1 cup reduced fat sour cream
    salt and pepper to taste

    Mix melted butter into stuffing and set aside. Cook squash and onions in a small amount of water for 6-8 minutes over low heat until partially cooked. Drain well. Add carrots, soup, and sour cream. Spray a shallow casserole dish with cooking spray. Cover the bottom with 1/2 of the stuffing mix. Spoon squash mixture on top of stuffing, and then top with the remaining stuffing. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until brown.

    You can also add about 1 cup grated cheese or two shredded chicken breasts if you desire

    ReplyDelete